Wednesday, February 14, 2007

 

These New Puritans and the Boiling Water



This Boiling Water is lurking behind the realm link in the February 07, 2007 post. These New Puritans are a band in England somewhere. The downloads are empty links, but I like the art work.

This picture was recently hotlinked at a commercial site, hawking health nostrums and therapies. The boiling water illustrated a Hydrotherapy section. Scald that ugly skin away! I confess to having swapped the link for afew days, having no confidence or desire to talk to a sales site chalk full of hot linked pictures. I put a pictures of
10 Rovegs in it's place:




The commericial hotlink dispappeared a few days later, replaced by a very pretty picture of some waterfalls, and I replaced the boiling water picture.

I don't like doing this - if this picture had had active hotlinks of which I approve (pretty much any use that isn't commercial, or radically alters the image) I would have been in a quandary.

The proper way to deal with this is in the webserver, and I haven't set things up to make this easy. If this is a trend, then I may have to.

I read in a sysadmin email list yesterday that email spam now constitutes 90-95% of net traffic. This admin was seeing 98-99% at their institution. Yikes. Dark matter and introns.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?