Sunday, January 08, 2006

 

A Enlightened (?) LiVEJOURNAL View of a Syrphid Fly on a Purple Crocus

dBeeMimicOnCrocus2b.gif: a photgraph of a syrphid fly on a purple crocus flower

I love this picture, it really turned out well. These crocuses were the very last flowers to appear this year in the yard. I've always thought of them as harbingers of Spring, but they have done double duty. The syrphid fly hung around for a day, and I haven't seen it since.

An access for this picture showed up yesterday from a thread in Misanthropist's Journal. It's a place where anyone can reply, I didn't need to register.

They're playing a game with these rules:

1. What’s the first word that comes to mind when you think of me?
2. Go to http://images.google.com and search for that word.
3. Reply to this post with one of the pictures on the first page of results (don’t tell me the word).


princessa125 searched for fork and here's the current results page. Two of my pictures are on the first page, neither one of them a picture of a fork. The spiders are picking up the name of the blog Middle-Fork. I like the serendipity, but it suggests that there is a lot of room for improving the situational semantics of the search strings. Blog titles are like band names, you can maybe assume that Lawnmower Puppies will be more radical than Winter Elk, but even that much is iffy.

Anyway, I replied to _itsjustme_ and princessa125:

My photoblog is named Middle-Fork (http://www.middle-fork.org/). I get a lot of hits from the image search engines for fork, usually with some other word, like "robot fork". Who searches for pictures of robot forks? Anyway, glad you like the picture, there are a couple more of this insect (a syrphid fly) at this insects on flowers archive (http://www.middle-fork.org/archives/insects_on_flowers/index.html).

the Robot Vegetable


I had placed the urls and associated text in hyperlink tags, and the LiVEJOURNAL interface disassembled them and displayed the constituent parts. LiVEJOURNAL enforces enlightenment! Is that cool or what? Probably or what, I'm not sure what I think yet. If you simply type in the url, the interface makes it a link and displayed the url as the link text.

princessa125 said:

ok... that was weird. how did that dude track us to LJ????? anyhoo, i just picked fork randomly. i wanted to send you a picture of a bracelet made of forks that was really pretty, but the page wasn't working. so i sent you the next weirdest thing.

to which I just responded:

Hi,
I didn't track you - you walked into my house and looked at a picture on my living room wall. That's how the web works, when you follow a link, like clicking on an url here, you ask some far away place to show you something, and the server gives it to you and jots down a note saying "so-and-so just looked at whatzit." I like it when people see my pictures, and try to say thank you. so, Thanks again!

veg


That's why I think maybe 'or what' people don't know they're being enlightened.

The original post.
Insects on Flowers archive

Comments:
I think that's a autumn blooming colchicum. (the true crocus)

Nice photo!
 
if you want to improve your image relevance on google's searches, try making your alt and title text more descriptive, eg right now for the latest image the name is "dAppleBlossomsb.gif" and the alt text is "dAppleBlossomsb.gif" where it should probably be "Apple Blossoms" or something more googlefriendly.
Jag
 
Hi, thanks. I actually understand this. If yu peruse my photos, you will find some that are titled and alted very comprehensively, others with cryptic titles and no alts. It depends on how verbal I am when I post. I often find myself in a no-words-in-my-head mode when doing graphics.
 
yes, but I didn't sign your guest book.
And I still think it's tracking, considering you didn't have to pay attention to the link.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?